A healthy lifestyle begins with making healthier choices. With this idea in mind many individuals are reducing their sugar intake completely! As you can probably assume, these changes are not easy to make and the lack of natural, healthy sweetened products on the market are hard to come by. Luckily, brands like The PUR Company are embracing the use of xylitol, a safe and beneficial, naturally sweet, sugar alternative!
What is xylitol?
Xylitol is a naturally sweet sugar alcohol that makes great alternative to white sugar and artificial sweeteners. It looks and tastes just like sugar yet has 40% fewer calories and unlike artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, xylitol has virtually no aftertaste!
Not all xylitol is made the same, many versions on the market are made by extracting the sugars from corn and various fruits and vegetables. These types of xylitol are cheaper to produce, but may contain pesticides and GMO’s. Another way to source xylitol is by extracting the bark from birch and beech trees, which is what we use to ensure its top quality and non-GMO! All xylitol factories are required to have an in-house lab to test each batch so it follows FDA guidelines ensuring its always safe to consume.
Why use xylitol?
- For all its AWESOME health benefits, of course!
- Recommended by dentists to boost oral health
- Reduces formation of plaque on teeth
- Helps to keep neutral pH level in the mouth protecting tooth enamel from demineralizing
- Assists in preventing tooth decay and cavities by reducing bacteria from sticking to teeth
- One of the sweeteners lowest on the glycemic index so it won’t raise blood sugar levels. To put it in perspective table sugar sits at 68, while xylitol is a 7, making it ideal for diabetics
- Treats dry mouth, making a great option for individuals going through chemotherapy treatments
- It’s safe for everyone – pregnant moms, children, diabetics and more! * Xylitol has been given the safest health rating for the World Health Organization
- It tastes great
How can you add more xylitol in your daily routine?
What makes xylitol great is you can effortlessly add it into your daily routine. Xylitol can be found in some toothpastes, mouthwashes, nasal sprays, tablets and chewable vitamins, you can also cook and bake with it, but the simplest way add more into your diet is to simply chew on gum and mints that are made with xylitol. To receive its optimal health benefits, it’s recommended you consume 6-10 grams of xylitol per day!
Discover The PUR Company and their line of gum and mints! You can learn more and find out where to purchase xylitol friendly gum and mints at the National Women’s Show or shop online – here!